Sponsored by:

Exhaust info for a noob

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c63amg
Hi guys
I have my 2012 c63 sedan, and I deleted the resonator and replaced with a straight pipe. I tuned my car at a local bodyshop, they claimed that the tune is gaining 92hp, which I do not know what brand it is. YAP, I am noob and I think I shouldve asked them.
However, Now I wanna have a bit lounder sound and meanwhile to keep the deep tone of amg exhaust. What should I do? just delete the sec.cat and replace it with x pipe or straight pipe?
btw, I also feel that with resonator deleted, I kinda lost a bit of back pressure. Anything to do to correct this?
Old 03-14-2016, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 125 Likes on 95 Posts
2006 E55
I've been listening to videos on C63s forever, trying to understand everything and how each part of the exhaust changes volume, pitch, and grunt sounds.

The best I have heard is long tubes (deleted primaries) with deleted secondaries (straight pipe in place of secondaries). Everything else stock (stock resonator, stock mufflers). This maintains the AMG "bark" and sounds downright EVIL on partial and especially WOT.
Old 06-05-2016, 05:22 AM

2004 Mercedes Benz e320
Originally Posted by papashango
Thanks a lot for this guys...it finally is starting to make some sense. So my exhaust guy mentioned that as long as the o2 sensors aren't messed with there shouldn't be any issues with error codes. Does that sound right?

If that's the case...any mod that would happen would be after the o2 sensors/primary cats area anyway right? Then I should stop worrying about any error signs going off?

When you say remove secondary cats and resonator with the x pipe, how is that any different than putting a straight pipe there? What is the difference between a x pipe and straight pipe? I see some people removing those and putting straight pipes.

What is mike's power pipe? Isn't that essentially just a straight pipe or is it a x pipe?

Delete resonator or secondary cats or both? Why and why not? Some people say one or the other and some people say both? What is the difference?

Do I have to get one of these pipes or can I just not get my exhaust guy to fabricate some for me if he says he can?

Thanks a lot guys I feel like I am finally making some progress about this. Also, please advise if someone has any experience with this stuff voiding their warranty. That is probably my biggest concern as my car still has around 3 years of warranty left.
I did a res and muf delete sound bad ***
Old 10-09-2016, 06:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bmw m5 , c63
Guys if you could only choose one to make an impact

Will it be better to remove the secondary cat or the resonators ?
Old 10-09-2016, 09:52 AM

'11 C63 P31, '06 Infiniti G35 Sedan (sold), '03 Nissan 350Z (R.I.P.), '15 Toyota Hylander
Originally Posted by Terryamg04

I would recommend keeping the secondary cats, and don't go the x-pipe route.

Here's my story:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...-w-x-pipe.html
Old 10-09-2016, 10:14 AM

Bmw m5 , c63
Originally Posted by 350Zed
I would recommend keeping the secondary cats, and don't go the x-pipe route.

Here's my story:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...-w-x-pipe.html

I'm thinking straight pipe to replace the resonator as well and keep the secondary cat

Although I wonder how it sounds ...
Don't seem to be a popular options to do just the resonator
Old 10-09-2016, 10:54 AM

MB C320
What worked for me;...

Cut-out the cats - they only last a while anyway and may clog-up and restrict gas flow with crap consequences like less power and hi gas mileage. My one secondary cat had started to make rattling noises and the car was idling erratically. When I cut both out and looked inside, the one had turned 90-degrees which virtually blocked all the gas flow from that bank. I tried running straight pipes, but the resulting drone was unpleasant, fit EXTRA resonators. Cutting out the stock resonators will give massive drone as that is their job to reduce that ****ty sound. "Backpressure" is a dirty word and some people think you actually need it - you don't! The less you have the more Horse-power you get. If it was good, F1 cars would have it! Some deluded person dreamt this fallacy up 50-years ago and it somehow stuck - erase this from your brain. If you do the above you will get the nice bark without the drone - just do it and smile.
Old 10-09-2016, 06:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 399 Likes on 277 Posts
'13 C63 AMG P31

I'm thinking straight pipe to replace the resonator as well and keep the secondary cat

Although I wonder how it sounds ...
Don't seem to be a popular options to do just the resonator
Read this and you'll have your answer - https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...-x-pipe-2.html.

Start with removing the secondary cat. Add straights in its place. This will make it louder but keep the AMG sound. If you remove/replace the resonator, it will add rasp and change the sound.
The following users liked this post:
Terryamg04 (10-09-2016)
Old 10-09-2016, 08:35 PM

Bmw m5 , c63
Originally Posted by INS1GNIA
Read this and you'll have your answer - https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...-x-pipe-2.html.

Start with removing the secondary cat. Add straights in its place. This will make it louder but keep the AMG sound. If you remove/replace the resonator, it will add rasp and change the sound.
Ah so that rasp comes from changing the resonator instead of the cats

I have always thought that the rasp comes from removing the secondary cats and removing the resonator will actually keep the amg noise
Old 10-10-2016, 10:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'13 C63 AMG P31
Ah so that rasp comes from changing the resonator instead of the cats

I have always thought that the rasp comes from removing the secondary cats and removing the resonator will actually keep the amg noise
Some like the sound of removing the resonator, some don't. Some remove both and make it extremely loud. I always suggest starting with the secondary cats and then if it's still not loud enough, then you can move on to the resonator. I removed my secondary cats and put in straights...love it. Sounds healthier and about 40% louder while keeping that deep AMG sound.
Old 10-11-2016, 10:52 AM

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by papashango
Seriously...think just gonna have to take the plunge and go with it. Otherwise I will never get anywhere.
I may aswell be on that "exhaust noob guy" 's same boat, and had to stop reading this thread to lol right here. lmfao
Old 10-11-2016, 11:25 AM

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Coupe
headers, hiflo primary cats, and secondary delete. To me it sounds great, lots of bark and no droning whatsoever.
Old 10-11-2016, 03:44 PM

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by INS1GNIA
Some like the sound of removing the resonator, some don't. Some remove both and make it extremely loud. I always suggest starting with the secondary cats and then if it's still not loud enough, then you can move on to the resonator. I removed my secondary cats and put in straights...love it. Sounds healthier and about 40% louder while keeping that deep AMG sound.
Hey there mate, I'm down to two options here: a very expensive one (full iPE for a actual reasonable price) and a cheap one (deleting secondary cats).

Do you get any droning with your build (deleting the sec/cats)? I think my mind works just like yours - I want to keep the original AMG note, as it's unique and raw. I own a C63 Black Series, and the exhaust is already kinda loud when you hit the gas.. But on idle, or when smoothly cruising, is just a sweet sleeping beauty. I want it to be brutal even when I'm at 5mph. lol. Just kidding. Lie, I mean it.

Last edited by Vpatriota; 10-11-2016 at 03:47 PM.
Old 10-12-2016, 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'13 C63 AMG P31
Originally Posted by Vpatriota
Hey there mate, I'm down to two options here: a very expensive one (full iPE for a actual reasonable price) and a cheap one (deleting secondary cats).

Do you get any droning with your build (deleting the sec/cats)? I think my mind works just like yours - I want to keep the original AMG note, as it's unique and raw. I own a C63 Black Series, and the exhaust is already kinda loud when you hit the gas.. But on idle, or when smoothly cruising, is just a sweet sleeping beauty. I want it to be brutal even when I'm at 5mph. lol. Just kidding. Lie, I mean it.
No drone at all, at any speed....tested . The cruising and idle sound is increased a little bit but it will still be a wolf in sheep's clothing. Any amount of gas given to it though, it really opens up. Just the other day, I accidentally down shifted twice...I was only expecting the sound of one downshift. When the car shifted again, It literally scared the sh*t out of me and made me jump lol.

If you want the absolute brutal sound, adding headers would be your next choice.

I def would go with the secondary cats removal, also lower your rear seats .

Last edited by INS1GNIA; 10-12-2016 at 02:17 PM.
Old 12-30-2016, 12:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 AMG Edition 507
Mike's Power Pipe Contact Info.

Originally Posted by Mikegpr03
Guys may I suggest is the following:

Some on here are new and might have limited info on these cars.

Essentially
Here's what you need to know to mod this car the right way.

IN NOW WAY AM I SAYING BUY MY POWER PIPE

Any monkey at a muffler shop can hack your car up and charge $100.

They will put aluminized pipe ( The OEM pipe is stainless steel )

Your $100 job will be bent on a regular bender ( kinks and squeezes the diameter ) not mandrel bender.

A mandrel bender is crazy expensive ! It bends the pipes without making any indentations or kinks so the bend is a true diameter ( never shrinks at the bend ).

In the end your car will have a cheap hack job ($100) that belongs on a yugo not an AMG Mercedes..

To each is own; some don't mind putting cheap components on your car, then hey more power to you.

I respect everyone's opinions on this forum and I have been around here long enough, and have met and worked with enough people on this forum from around the world that can vouch for me and my parts.

As for the straight X and H let me fill you in since some of you haven't read the whole thread.

I made all versions before making the final 2 H and straight.

The X kills off a bit of the AMG sound and makes it more high pitched ( more exotic sound ) works ok when headers since it quiets the car a bit.
Some might not see it but once another AMG get next to you with straight or an H you will.
BTW I'm working on a H set up for headers that will make this car livable ( more on that later )

Guys just a word of advise:

DONT PUT CHEAP ALUMINIZED PIPE on a 60k car for gods sake! Lol This is not a 79 Trans-Am lol.
What ever you do make sure they

A attach your mod with a quality flange ( stainless steel ) that will let you bolt on it and off easily and not turn into a ball or rust along with your aluminized $100 piping.

Use 409 or 304 stainless steel.
Educate yourself and I don't mean just take what I say. Do research on the material and the mod you're making. Ask questions it's your $ make sure you feel good with your mod.

Hope this helps
Hi Mike,
I'm interested in your power pipes for my c63.
Can you please post your email or phone number so I can get in touch with you?
Thanks
Old 12-30-2016, 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,827 Likes on 1,670 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Originally Posted by MFitz
Hi Mike,
I'm interested in your power pipes for my c63.
Can you please post your email or phone number so I can get in touch with you?
Thanks

Old 12-30-2016, 03:38 PM

C63 AMG Edition 507
Originally Posted by BLKROKT
Thanks for responding BLKROKT.
I tried emailing to Mikegpr03 but got invalid address.
Am I missing something?

Thanks
The following users liked this post:
kb24forlife24 (12-30-2016)
Old 04-02-2017, 07:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
C63 AMG
Hey there guys,
I have a H pipe exiting into straight pipes that replace the resonator and am interested in upgrading to some exhaust headers.
I am aware of the headers available, however will the long tubes be compatible with Mikes' H pipe set up that replaces the secondaries ?
TIA
Old 04-02-2017, 10:23 AM

Received 125 Likes on 107 Posts
2014 Mercedes C63 AMG 507 Edition
Originally Posted by 63 Molar
Hey there guys,
I have a H pipe exiting into straight pipes that replace the resonator and am interested in upgrading to some exhaust headers.
I am aware of the headers available, however will the long tubes be compatible with Mikes' H pipe set up that replaces the secondaries ?
TIA
I would think you would need to weld up a small piece of pipe from the headers to Mike's H-pipe. Any exhaust shop can sort it out for you.
Old 04-03-2017, 02:59 PM

2013 C63 AMG
Someone clear this up for me because I've called 5 different muffler shops and 4 have told me deleting any cats is illegal. Is it something that differs by state? Or anyone know of anyone near the Charlotte, NC area that will do it?
Old 04-03-2017, 03:40 PM

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
2010 C63
Someone clear this up for me because I've called 5 different muffler shops and 4 have told me deleting any cats is illegal. Is it something that differs by state? Or anyone know of anyone near the Charlotte, NC area that will do it?
A muffler shop told me the same thing (illegal), they suggested having a indie mechanics shop do it - if they are capable.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:04 PM

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts
2012 C63, 2014 E550
Is there any downside to replacing secondary cats AND resonators with straight pipes? A lot of the posts I see recommend putting in an hpipe for secondary if the resonator is gonna be deleted too.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:12 PM

C63 AMG Edition 507
I just did a secondary cat delete on my C63 507. Replaced them with straight pipes from Mike's power pipes (very good quality prefabricated kit - fit like a glove). I took Mike's advice and did the secondary cat delete only with straight pipes (no H pipe for the cat delete).
I'm very happy with the enhanced growl and the popping when you come off the gas or downshift.
Not sure about the resonator delete.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:23 PM

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts
2012 C63, 2014 E550
Originally Posted by MFitz
I just did a secondary cat delete on my C63 507. Replaced them with straight pipes from Mike's power pipes (very good quality prefabricated kit - fit like a glove). I took Mike's advice and did the secondary cat delete only with straight pipes (no H pipe for the cat delete).
I'm very happy with the enhanced growl and the popping when you come off the gas or downshift.
Not sure about the resonator delete.
Thanks, this is what I was looking for! I think I might just go one step at a time and straight pipe the cats first. Did you have any trouble finding a shop to do it for you? I called a few places and they all said "sorry its illegal, we cant delete cats".

Is this one of those things they cannot openly admit on the phone but can take care of once I drive my car in?
Old 05-19-2017, 02:25 PM

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
2015 C63 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by NotABaller
Thanks, this is what I was looking for! I think I might just go one step at a time and straight pipe the cats first. Did you have any trouble finding a shop to do it for you? I called a few places and they all said "sorry its illegal, we cant delete cats".

Is this one of those things they cannot openly admit on the phone but can take care of once I drive my car in?
Finding a shop depends on which state you live in. If you live in a strict emissions state like California, I would rethink about cutting out your sec cats.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Exhaust info for a noob