GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

GLE350 vs. GLE450 Suspension

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2019, 02:45 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
AMG E43
Question GLE350 vs. GLE450 Suspension

I have a GLE 450 on order. I maxed it out with nearly all the options. However, I decided not to order the air suspension ($1710). Motor Trend magazine recently published a review in which they trashed the GLE 350 suspension ("the worst of any SUV in the group we tested"). However, they praised just about everything in the GLE 450, but noted it had air suspension. It seems both the 350 and 450 would share the same basic suspension, so was it just the air suspension option that made the difference? Am I making a terrible mistake by not getting this option for my GLE 450? Please respond so I can add "adaptive air suspension" to my order. I certainly don't want my wife driving a car with a terrible suspension. By the way, I'm familiar with the adaptive air suspension as I have this on my AMG E43.
Old 11-22-2019, 02:49 PM

Received 125 Likes on 72 Posts
2020 GLE 450 AMG exterior
Originally Posted by bcrounse
I have a GLE 450 on order. I maxed it out with nearly all the options. However, I decided not to order the air suspension ($1710). Motor Trend magazine recently published a review in which they trashed the GLE 350 suspension ("the worst of any SUV in the group we tested"). However, they praised just about everything in the GLE 450, but noted it had air suspension. It seems both the 350 and 450 would share the same basic suspension, so was it just the air suspension option that made the difference? Am I making a terrible mistake by not getting this option for my GLE 450? Please respond so I can add "adaptive air suspension" to my order. I certainly don't want my wife driving a car with a terrible suspension. By the way, I'm familiar with the adaptive air suspension as I have this on my AMG E43.
Based on everything I've read, the AIRMATIC is worth the cost. That said, I have no issue with the standard suspension on my 450. It rides really comfortably. I haven't driven the AIRMATIC, so I suspect it's a case of not knowing what I'm missing out on, but ignorance is bliss, I suppose.
Old 11-22-2019, 03:33 PM

AMG E43
GLE 350 vs. GLE 450 Suspension

Originally Posted by bigpern23
Based on everything I've read, the AIRMATIC is worth the cost. That said, I have no issue with the standard suspension on my 450. It rides really comfortably. I haven't driven the AIRMATIC, so I suspect it's a case of not knowing what I'm missing out on, but ignorance is bliss, I suppose.
Thanks for the quick response, Bigpern23. I really appreciate the information and I'm pleased that you are enjoying your GLE 450. I've already been waiting 5 months since I placed my order in June. I'll only add AIRMATIC if I can do so without causing further delay to my order. Would appreciate the thoughts of others..... Thanks again.
Old 11-22-2019, 04:03 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
gle
I ordered a very well equipped GLE350 and didn't opt for the air suspension either in my order. I figured at some point you need to stop selecting options. Anyway, although it is primarily my wife's car, we are about 1,000 miles in and the steel suspension seems quite good to me. I'm coming from a 2016 GLE350 so maybe I don't notice the difference? I also have never driven an Airmatic version but I can't imagine it could be worlds better. I have also read that the repair work on the air suspension can be quite costly for what its worth. The only option I think I couldn't live without is the AMG exterior as it gives a much different look from my 2016.
Old 11-22-2019, 04:28 PM

AMG E43
Originally Posted by mbgle
I ordered a very well equipped GLE350 and didn't opt for the air suspension either in my order. I figured at some point you need to stop selecting options. Anyway, although it is primarily my wife's car, we are about 1,000 miles in and the steel suspension seems quite good to me. I'm coming from a 2016 GLE350 so maybe I don't notice the difference? I also have never driven an Airmatic version but I can't imagine it could be worlds better. I have also read that the repair work on the air suspension can be quite costly for what its worth. The only option I think I couldn't live without is the AMG exterior as it gives a much different look from my 2016.
Thanks for your reply. Much appreciated. Here is the article I read that caused me to question my decision. See https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/auto...suv/ar-AAJZQ5i . I am pleased that you are happy with the suspension on your GLE 350. Maybe the guys at Motor Trend were just having a bad day. By the way, I also ordered the AMG exterior. Thanks again.
Old 11-22-2019, 05:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 126 Likes on 105 Posts
2020 X7 xDrive40i, 2016 X3 sDrive28i
Thanks for your reply. Much appreciated. Here is the article I read that caused me to question my decision. See https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/auto...suv/ar-AAJZQ5i . I am pleased that you are happy with the suspension on your GLE 350. Maybe the guys at Motor Trend were just having a bad day. By the way, I also ordered the AMG exterior. Thanks again.
I took my wife on a test drive of a GLE450 with steel suspension. She said it felt fine (she's used to driving her X3 with steel suspension). Then we test drive a GLE450 with air suspension (not the EABC) and she immediately said it rode much better/smoother and she liked it better than the steel suspension. If you are looking for a very comfortable/smooth ride and don't mind a couple extra grand cost, the air suspension is well worth it. If you've never ridden in one and don't know what you're missing, then maybe you can go without it.
Old 11-22-2019, 05:41 PM

AMG E43
c
Originally Posted by thenew3
I took my wife on a test drive of a GLE450 with steel suspension. She said it felt fine (she's used to driving her X3 with steel suspension). Then we test drive a GLE450 with air suspension (not the EABC) and she immediately said it rode much better/smoother and she liked it better than the steel suspension. If you are looking for a very comfortable/smooth ride and don't mind a couple extra grand cost, the air suspension is well worth it. If you've never ridden in one and don't know what you're missing, then maybe you can go without it.
Really appreciate your input. Congrats on actually getting a GLE450. They are scarce where I live (disappear from dealer lots as soon as they arrive) which is why I had to order one. I had air suspension on a prior E-class and also on my current AMG E43. I'll check with my dealer and see if I can add AIRMATIC to my current order. Again, thanks for weighing in. Very helpful.

Last edited by bcrounse; 11-22-2019 at 05:42 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 11-22-2019, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 126 Likes on 105 Posts
2020 X7 xDrive40i, 2016 X3 sDrive28i
Really appreciate your input. Congrats on actually getting a GLE450. They are scare where I live (disappear from dealer lots as soon as they arrive) which is why I had to order one. I had air suspension on a prior E-class and also on my current AMG E43. I'll check with my dealer and see if I can add AIRMATIC to my current order. Again, thanks for weighing in. Very helpful.
We actually ended up ordering a GLS450 as the GLE was just too small for us (smaller interior space than my E350 wagon).

I think if you are looking for a soft comfortable ride and can spare the $2k or so, the airmatic is a good choice.
Old 11-23-2019, 09:04 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
GLE450
In comparison to Cayennes (air and steel), X5s (air and steel), Range Rover, LX570, and other mid-sized and large SUVs I have driven the MB 450 steel was not just harsh, but poorly controlled. The air suspension was comfortable, if a bit floaty. I prefer good handling, while my wife likes soft and comfortable but both of us hated the steel suspension. We ended up ordering EABC, just because we were curious. We'll know if that was a good idea once we get the car.
Old 11-23-2019, 09:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,030 Likes on 698 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by cunim
In comparison to Cayennes (air and steel), X5s (air and steel), Range Rover, LX570, and other mid-sized and large SUVs I have driven the MB 450 steel was not just harsh, but poorly controlled. The air suspension was comfortable, if a bit floaty. I prefer good handling, while my wife likes soft and comfortable but both of us hated the steel suspension. We ended up ordering EABC, just because we were curious. We'll know if that was a good idea once we get the car.
There are two ways to have a more normal ride with just Airmatic. They are by driving in Sport Mode or by configuring the Individual Mode to have Sport Suspension.
Old 11-23-2019, 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,183 Likes on 850 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
E-ABC

Originally Posted by cunim
I've had E-ABC for over 6 months now. Here are some thoughts I posted elsewhere:

https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...ml#post7780731

https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...ml#post7817357

https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...ml#post7843825

Old 11-26-2019, 06:48 AM

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
2020 GLE 300d
I have test driven two GLE 300d with and without Airmatic and I did not notice any real difference. I would say that Airmatic can be useful if you have 21' or 22' wheels. Apart from that it's a costly option and repair work on the air suspension will be quite costly (around the same price as the option!). My understanding is that the less you drive your car the more you'll have the risk to have a failure of the Airmatic.
Old 11-26-2019, 09:34 AM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
BMW M340Xi; GLE 450
We have the GLE 450 with regular suspension as well and the ride is pretty smooth as it is, also we have never driven in the one with air suspension so don't know what we are missing. We did think about add in air suspension 2 months into our order ( placed order in April) but it was already locked at that point and adding it would have pushed us out several months. We took delivery in first week of september and we are happy with what we have.