W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*** $1,500 CF Airbox with HP benefits ***

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 11:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 S65, '04 Range Rover(The House), '06 Lexus GS 300(Wifey's), '02 Sea Ray 360 Sundancer
Somebody or bodies just got bumped! Show me the list Victor! Show me the list!
Old 02-24-2007, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 E55
The Eagle has landed !!! Stock TB install

Got a note from Victor...since I have a little wimpy stock TB I would be getting my CF box to fit up and show you guys what it looks like. First off,the packaging was superb..cool logo Victor !!!! The box comes with very comprehensive DIY instructions and everything needed including filters,clamps and washers .All you need is a couple simple hand tools. It is pretty much plug and play but you will need to have a bit of patience and be careful jiggling it around for the perfect fit. The worst part was getting the lid screws out of the old airbox !! I actually broke one off !! Anyone have a single spare ??? They are pretty cheapo screws. I took some pics while I was installing. :NOTE: I found that MB allows dirty air passage thru the hold down clip area at the bottom of the air box base that we re-use. I sealed these with black Permatex silicone. Why the hell would they do that ? I took a few pics along the way. As I was installing it helped me to have some gentle leverage at the rear of the TB to hold it all in place while I tightend it all down. I used a fancy custom made California pry bar which I show a picture of. Its a beautiful airbox...ultra glossy, weave is perfect and stunning. I also left my rubber TB motor cover in place. There was no interference so I just left it instead of removing the TB valve. You can take it off or leave it if your application gives clearance. It may look cooler without it but I am lazy. So have at it folks.It's easy...but be patient and don't be an animal. I am sure it's not real fragile but a little finesse goes a long way in fit up. All in all....Victor this is a gorgeous piece and you are to be commended for seeing it thru. No one will be disappointed. In fact pictures do NOT do this box any justice at all. Especially on a grey Chicago morning...I cannot wait for the engine cover ! Absolutely beautiful craftsmanship.

Area that I felt needed to be sealed

Packaging

Location of clip tabs to remove intake hoses from TB

Special custom California pry tool

The pretty stuff !!

Old 02-24-2007, 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'03 SL55
Very sharp!
Old 02-24-2007, 01:50 PM
Almost a Member!

2004 E55
Looks awesome!
Old 02-24-2007, 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW E39
Wow! Very professional. Any gains on the butt dyno yet?
Old 02-24-2007, 02:30 PM
MBWorld Founder

ones too fast according to CHP!
looks really nice!
Old 02-24-2007, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55
wowee!!

any more people on the list dropping out? Id like to get in on one!!
Old 02-24-2007, 02:52 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Robert,

Thank you for taking the time to snap pictures and detail the install. Much appreciated!! I am very glad that you are happy with it.. I poured my heart into making this and tried to think of everything I could to make it a complete product.

To me, first impressions count for everything and a high end product should be represented in a certain way. I've seen samples of how the competitor airbox products are shipped; plain brown beat-up cardboard box, filled with those little styrofoam "peanuts", no instructions, no care put into the packaging.. Doesnt exactly make you feel good when you know you spent $3900USD to buy something and it arrives in a beat-up old box.

I wanted to show an example of how I think high-end, high quality products should be represented..

The remaining airboxes that I have on hand will ship early next week.. We had a problem with Canada customs and the release of the custom airfilters. I didnt want to ship the product incomplete, so there is another short delay in shipping the remaining pieces until I get the airfilter fiasco straightened out. I sent Robert my personal set of airfilters since he was at the top of the list for stock TB airbox.

Sorry again for these delays, but, it was beyond my control.. We are in the home stretch and you will all be receiving your product shortly.

I can't say enough how much I appreciate all the support and patience I receive from all of you.. Your trust in me is truly appreciated. If it wasn't for all of the great people on this board, all the hours I spend doing this kind of stuff just wouldn't be worth it.

---------------------------------------------
Thanks guys!! Means alot!

Originally Posted by otoupalik
looks really nice!
Originally Posted by newton22
Originally Posted by mstenberg
Looks awesome!
Originally Posted by jmf003
Very sharp!
Old 02-24-2007, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 E55
Originally Posted by newton22

Waiting for the silicone sealer to cure before I start it up but it's winter here and there is a winter storm watch so....the butt dyno is closed for a while still !!! Frome the looks of it we are going to have more air flow and there is a nice cone molded in at the inlet to help smooth and direct the airstream. Really nice piece guys. This was worth every single minute of wait time.Considering the time and effort that went into this well thought out project

Last edited by vader; 02-24-2007 at 02:55 PM.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:58 PM
MNG

Audi's, a whole bunch of them
great pics Vader... take the car out drifting in the snow
Old 02-24-2007, 03:03 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Hey Robert,

You know what will make all that nice CF stand out even more???

https://mbworld.org/forums/showpost....94&postcount=9
Old 02-24-2007, 03:12 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
If you want one, say the word and you can have one!!

Email me your paypal address and I'll fire off the info to you.

Note: Dont forget to specify what TB you have on your car.

Originally Posted by psk145
wowee!!

any more people on the list dropping out? Id like to get in on one!!
Old 02-24-2007, 03:13 PM
Almost a Member!

Obviously I do not own an E55, but I just had to say that kicks ***. Nothing cooler than a regular Grassroots hotrodder turning out something as professional as that for an awesome price.

I am impressed, especially by your dedication. Most of these types of projects usually just dry up, but you took it all the way.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 E55
Funny you should mention that Vic....I was going to post a thread on how to clean water staining of the aluminum finish of the intake boxes !!! Funny how these mods go...you do one thing at it exposes the weakeness of something else !!! Want to sellthe set you had done ?

Last edited by vader; 02-24-2007 at 03:16 PM.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E 55
Vader it looks great.
Maybe you should consider South Florida for a winter home. That way you can test all year round.

Another top quality product from VRUS tuning.
Old 02-24-2007, 04:30 PM
Administrator

Received 514 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
Vader, thanks for posting that.......looks just fanfuuckintastic. I cannot wait to see the engine cover and hopefully air tubes.

Another top notch job Victor!!

I'll have to postpone any further ***-kissin until I get mine.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:50 PM
dsc

2004 E55
Victor, that is a class act job. Very impressive. I'm having to calm myself into further patience. Can't wait!
Old 02-26-2007, 12:53 PM

C32
Originally Posted by SL600 V12
Obviously I do not own an E55, but I just had to say that kicks ***. Nothing cooler than a regular Grassroots hotrodder turning out something as professional as that for an awesome price.

I am impressed, especially by your dedication. Most of these types of projects usually just dry up, but you took it all the way.
+1. Just a thing of beauty.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:00 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Thanks guys for the kind words! It is much apreciated.

Status

- 10 airboxes landed (6 for stock TB, 4 for 80mm TB).

- 1 went out to Vader

- 4 more airboxes for stock TB cars are going out today.. The last one is being held for 2ManyCars until he returns from his trip.

- The remaining 4 airboxes for the 80mm TBs: we are waiting on the sealing rings.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:03 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
The airtubes are a go!! The first project will be to get the E55/CLS55 air tubes done first. The next ones will be SL55.

The engineer feels there is room for improvement on the design of the tubes so these will not just be a cosmetic piece.

This is some information I received back from the engineer that is working on the airflow & design of the tubes.

When the engines are installed at the factory, they are complete with airboxes. Even in a specialized car like an AMG Mercedes, it is a production automobile, and assembly time of the various components is an important consideration for designers.

In the case of the air inlet tubes, they have a long corrugated section that is round to maximize flexibility during installation on the line. As such, their shape is not optimized to maximize inlet volume and velocity. Close study has shown that the inlet scoops that lie behind the grill are actually quite efficient at directing airflow into the inlet pipes and it is the pipe shape that causes problems.

In a performance aftermarket application, minor variances in installation time do not enter into the design equation. The inlet pipes that are currently being designed will need to be installed with the lower airboxes removed.

Once located, the lower airboxes can be easily re-fitted and mated up to the inlet tubes. This minor design difference adds less than 3 minutes to the installation (compared to stock) but gives us the freedom to design the most efficient inlet tubes possible.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:15 PM

CLS 55 AMG, 2002 Chevy Avalanche (w/ NOS) :D
Originally Posted by vrus
Thanks guys for the kind words! It is much apreciated.

Status

- 10 airboxes landed (6 for stock TB, 4 for 80mm TB).

- 1 went out to Vader

- 4 more airboxes for stock TB cars are going out today.. The last one is being held for 2ManyCars until he returns from his trip.

- The remaining 4 airboxes for the 80mm TBs: we are waiting on the sealing rings.

Any chance mine is being sent out?? when can we expect them to be sent out? anxiously waiting...
Old 02-27-2007, 02:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ML550
Originally Posted by vrus
In the case of the air inlet tubes, they have a long corrugated section that is round to maximize flexibility during installation on the line.
I was under the impression that the accordian section of the plastic air tube ALSO allows the tube to compensate for engine movement. If it didn't, the hose could possibly dislocate at the inlet scoops or air box.

The engine slightly rotates when the accelerator is blipped, and the engine is not rigidly mounted to the subframe. I would think any rigid CF tubes would have to allow for some flex and movement of the engine (and with it, the lower air boxes). The engine is definitely not static when it's operating and on the road. But I'm sure your engineer already is considering this. Isn't he?
Old 02-27-2007, 03:44 PM

2003 porsche 996tt Ruf, 2005 SL55 Renntech
Vic,
when will the second shipment come in?
Old 02-27-2007, 09:27 PM

2018 E63S wagon, 2016 GLE350d, GLE450 on order
Originally Posted by kompressed55
I was under the impression that the accordian section of the plastic air tube ALSO allows the tube to compensate for engine movement. If it didn't, the hose could possibly dislocate at the inlet scoops or air box.

The engine slightly rotates when the accelerator is blipped, and the engine is not rigidly mounted to the subframe. I would think any rigid CF tubes would have to allow for some flex and movement of the engine (and with it, the lower air boxes). The engine is definitely not static when it's operating and on the road. But I'm sure your engineer already is considering this. Isn't he?
i would have to agree with you also, the air tubes are engineered to flex; to compensate for engine movement while allowing airflow to enter the airboxes. i would have to think that by making those air tubes solid would result in something somewhere breaking/cracking.....
Old 02-27-2007, 10:00 PM

2004 E55
i would have to agree with you also, the air tubes are engineered to flex; to compensate for engine movement while allowing airflow to enter the airboxes. i would have to think that by making those air tubes solid would result in something somewhere breaking/cracking.....
Hmmm...... C/F breaking and cracking, wow! So what would happen is the motor ingested some C/F, everything should be ok right?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: *** $1,500 CF Airbox with HP benefits ***