C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

DIY: LET 185 mm pulley install with pics

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 06:36 PM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
GL 350 Bluetec
DIY: LET 185 mm pulley install with pics

Installed a 185mm pulley kit from LET motorsports on my c32 today. Overall it was a easy job, I would have taken more pictures but we were working fast enough that I didnt really have a chance to. Bring a friend it will take 2 of you to break the old crank bolt loose. We did not remove the radiator fan.

Time: 1 hour 30 mins.

Here is the picture that floats around the forums of the pulleys and belt. #4, #8 and #1 are the ones you will be replacing.

I had to use a press to seat the bearing on my idler pulley. Luckily I am in the army and know tank mechanics so I had access to an eleventybillion ton press. It doesnt take more than 1 ton to seat the bearing. Use the press to push the bearing all the way into the pulley untill it is seated, then use the clip to secure it.

You can use a socket on the tensioner (#9) to release tension on the belt then slip the belt off of the tensioner. We removed the pulley as well but you can do it with the pulley still on. Once the belt is loose you will have room to work.

First we replaced the idler pulley (#4) Easy job, off with the old on with the new. 16mm socket, they dont take a lot of torque so you dont really need to crank down too hard on the bolt when installing.

Next we did the water pump pulley (#8), another easy one. Four 10mm bolts and replace. In this picture the crank pulley is already off and one of the bolts had fallen under the car so we went back for it later.

Now for the actual hard part, the crank pulley (#1). You will need a special tool to hold the old pulley in place, it has a ring and 3 studs on it. I bought one from a member of the forums. A 27mm, a short extension, and a long breaker bar, it took both my friend and I with some veins popping out of our foreheads to break the old crank bolt loose. Pull the old pulley straight off, replace with new pulley, there is a key that keeps it lined up.

Finding a way to torque down the bolt on the new pulley is difficult, I havent got a good torque on it yet. Jerry suggested securing the flywheel with something that would not be damaging to it, if anybody else has any thoughts im fair game. Other than that just slide the belt back in place and boogie down.

Last edited by Panzerknacker; 06-20-2009 at 06:43 PM. Reason: my E key fails
Old 06-20-2009, 06:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Panzerknacker

Now for the actual hard part, the crank pulley (#1). You will need a special tool to hold the old pulley in place, it has a ring and 3 studs on it. I bought one from a member of the forums.
pulley puller. looks like this (its gold in the pictures):

https://mbworld.org/forums/engine-pe...ete-550-a.html

third picture:
https://mbworld.org/forums/engine-pe...et-custom.html

Finding a way to torque down the bolt on the new pulley is difficult, I havent got a good torque on it yet. Jerry suggested securing the flywheel with something that would not be damaging to it, if anybody else has any thoughts im fair game. Other than that just slide the belt back in place and boogie down.
did some searching, came up with this:

"You will need to remove the front piece and the rear plastic piece to get to the torque converter to hold it in place to torque your new pulley on.

There are 2 small rubber plugs directly under the bell housing remove them, they pull out. I used an old prybar that you can wedge into the torque convertors flex plat to hold it in place while torquing the new bolt."

and one more thing guys, to everyone, make sure you use a BRAND NEW CRANK BOLT and DO NOT resuse your old one. they are one time use stretch bolts.

GREAT WRITEUP!
Old 06-20-2009, 07:39 PM

GL 350 Bluetec
Yeah I bought an oem crank bolt to use just in case... Turns out that the OEM bolt wont even fit in the LET pulley, so basically you have to use the one provided in the kit.
Old 06-20-2009, 07:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Yeah I bought an oem crank bolt to use just in case... Turns out that the OEM bolt wont even fit in the LET pulley, so basically you have to use the one provided in the kit.
hmm weird. i'm 99% sure that the bolt they provide you IS the OEM bolt
Old 06-20-2009, 07:42 PM

GL 350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by jturkel
hmm weird. i'm 99% sure that the bolt they provide you IS the OEM bolt
The diameter of the ring was not the same, maybe it is shaved down or something.
Old 06-20-2009, 07:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
The diameter of the ring was not the same, maybe it is shaved down or something.
interesting. i know i tried installing it the first time myself with the bolt they provided and i didnt put it on properly as the crank pulley was wobbly. i had a local independent MB shop do it and they used a new crank bolt from the dealership down the street. very interesting lol. either way, its on. try that torque method. i'm pretty sure thats how the shop did mine.
Old 06-21-2009, 05:38 PM

GL 350 Bluetec
interesting. i know i tried installing it the first time myself with the bolt they provided and i didnt put it on properly as the crank pulley was wobbly. i had a local independent MB shop do it and they used a new crank bolt from the dealership down the street. very interesting lol. either way, its on. try that torque method. i'm pretty sure thats how the shop did mine.
Yeah my pulley is a litle wobbly. The stock one was too even though it was torqued down heavily... wonder what thats all about.
Old 06-21-2009, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Yeah my pulley is a litle wobbly. The stock one was too even though it was torqued down heavily... wonder what thats all about.
you dont want wobble. at all. if it wobbles (like mine did when i reused a crank bolt, i busted the main seal after a while).......did you tighten the six screws holding the hub together? they might be a little loose.
Old 06-21-2009, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Crossfire SRT-6
The bolt used by LET is a milled down OEM crank bolt. As far as the removal and install of the crank bolt goes......a nice 1/2'' pneumatic impact works wonders and saves lots of time and bloody knuckles.
Old 06-21-2009, 06:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not an AMG :(
....Now for the actual hard part, the crank pulley (#1). You will need a special tool to hold the old pulley in place, it has a ring and 3 studs on it. I bought one from a member of the forums. A 27mm, a short extension, and a long breaker bar, it took both my friend and I with some veins popping out of our foreheads to break the old crank bolt loose. Pull the old pulley straight off, replace with new pulley, there is a key that keeps it lined up.

.....Finding a way to torque down the bolt on the new pulley is difficult, I havent got a good torque on it yet. Jerry suggested securing the flywheel with something that would not be damaging to it, if anybody else has any thoughts im fair game. Other than that just slide the belt back in place and boogie down.
Good writeup Panzerknacker!
I'd be interested to know what the center bolt torque specification is for the LET overdrive pulley. Is it different to account for modification of the center bolt to fit the LET pulley (as described in posts above), or is it the same as the stock pulley?

If the same, the OE torque specifications can be found here.

[Edit: Exactly what are the differences between the OE center bolt and the center bolt included with the LET pulley? Depending on the extent of the differences, you cannot assume they require the same torque specs]

Last edited by boohooramblers; 06-21-2009 at 07:45 PM. Reason: need more information
Old 06-21-2009, 07:51 PM

GL 350 Bluetec
you dont want wobble. at all. if it wobbles (like mine did when i reused a crank bolt, i busted the main seal after a while).......did you tighten the six screws holding the hub together? they might be a little loose.
Yeah its actually worrying me a little bit, the stock one was wobbling so I figured I might as well upgrade, but now the LET pulley is doing the same thing. I will torque it down and hope for the best. Anybody have a similar experience they could chime in with?
Old 06-21-2009, 11:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLA
Yeah its actually worrying me a little bit, the stock one was wobbling so I figured I might as well upgrade, but now the LET pulley is doing the same thing. I will torque it down and hope for the best. Anybody have a similar experience they could chime in with?
Scroll to the bottom for the correct torque...

https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...-you-rock.html