MHP AMG 63 Thermalnators

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07' CLK63 designo Graphite/Black; 07' E350 Sport White/Cashmere
Originally Posted by jrcart
NEWS FLASH....

Unlike some of you guys I put my money where my mouth is and I track my car on a very regular basis, both road courses and at the strip.

I fully intend on testing both items on my car and I will report back honest, un-biased feedback. If the stuff sucks, I'll take it off my car and let you all know it sucks, if the stuff works as promised you guys will be thanking me and rushing out to buy yours. You guys all know I'm a vocal and opinionated *****, I'm gonna speak my mind openly and honestly, so give me a week or so to get this stuff installed on my car and get it tested. Until then give this guy a break and wait for me to report back.
Jcart, well said,
Old 09-05-2008, 11:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63
[QUOTE=jrcart;3034445]I threw down this idea a couple months ago when Renntech debuted their 63 Black Series. Bring it on! I'm in, I'll be repping the Evosport boys with my 63. Not to pat myself on my own back but nobody else need show up for this event becuase I have not seen any other tuners 63 that can even come somewhat close to the performance numbers of my car. I think I will see some good competition from the VRP Kenny Bell supercharged 63 if it ever gets completed. As for the Renntech contingent, he should not even waste his gas money to try to participate in this shootout, I have seen the dyno sheets on a couple of their 63's...what a joke![/QUO
Old 09-05-2008, 11:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63
I threw down this idea a couple months ago when Renntech debuted their 63 Black Series. Bring it on! I'm in, I'll be repping the Evosport boys with my 63. Not to pat myself on my own back but nobody else need show up for this event becuase I have not seen any other tuners 63 that can even come somewhat close to the performance numbers of my car. I think I will see some good competition from the VRP Kenny Bell supercharged 63 if it ever gets completed. As for the Renntech contingent, he should not even waste his gas money to try to participate in this shootout, I have seen the dyno sheets on a couple of their 63's...what a joke!
I keep hearing all this talk about a damn Supercharger for the 63's. And now there is talk that "IF THEY EVER DO IT?" If we don't see any proof that this mith even is in the works , I say we lay the mith to rest. So VRP show us something, that is if you are really working on Supercharging the
63's. Sorry but I think it's time to show your hand, If you have one ..
Good morning Vadim
Old 09-05-2008, 11:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 E63, Audi S4, 1965 Goat
Andy if you can make our cars as fast as you can type ... count me in

Sheesh...I'd hate to see that keyboard.

Looking forward to your products! Keep our tuning options coming!
Old 09-05-2008, 12:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by rarfinancial
I keep hearing all this talk about a damn Supercharger for the 63's. And now there is talk that "IF THEY EVER DO IT?" If we don't see any proof that this mith even is in the works , I say we lay the mith to rest. So VRP show us something, that is if you are really working on Supercharging the
63's. Sorry but I think it's time to show your hand, If you have one ..
Good morning Vadim
I was under the impression that your car was the one getting the supercharger...now I'm really confused
Old 09-05-2008, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Its funny how most of the members who have a problem with this guys attitude and posting negative remarks, etc. are actually HELPING Andy, not hurting him in anyway. This thread has now been viewed 1505 times in the last few days, and is already on page 4. Its kind of like that TV show "married with children". The first year the show was a complete flop, no one knew about it or watched it. It wasnt until some crazy old hag in the midwest started this petition to have the show cancelled "due to its content" that the show started getting watched. It eventually became a huge success, because people were wondering what all the fuss was about, and actually started watching it. She tried to have the show cancelled, but instead made it a household name that everybody now knows , and went onto being one of the most successful TV shows ever.
Similar thing is going on in this thread. All of this negative BS is being posted, but yet the views and pages keep getting more attention than any other thread here in our E55 section.
I also sponsor a different car forum, and one of the rules is that competing vendors stay out of each others threads, Ill assume that Mbworld is the same way. I think if Vadim never said anything on this thread, it would not have gotten as much attention as it has, and most of you guys would be viewing VRPs threads right now, like you normally would. Vadim is a friend of mine, but I think posting in this thread hurt him more than it helped.
As for Andy, I think you have some big *****. You have not backed down to anyone here, I commend you for that, even some of the well known loudmouths.. ie Jangy
I can appreciate what your trying to do, and now I really hope that your product is going to be as strong as you insist it will be, because if it isnt, youll be out of here so fast, you wont know what hit ya.
Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Originally Posted by E55texas
I will most likely be banned in the morning so I wish everyone good luck and hope this guy is better than the piece of sh it he portrays on the web. I am tierd and sick of the internet, I am an addict though and seeking counseling. sorry to all I have offended over the past hour or so. This banning will bring me one step closer to curing my disease of internet addiction.
F U C K
Here's a link for ya...
http://www.angermanagementseminar.com/
Old 09-05-2008, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Originally Posted by Blue_Monster
Its funny how most of the members who have a problem with this guys attitude and posting negative remarks, etc. are actually HELPING Andy, not hurting him in anyway. This thread has now been viewed 1505 times in the last few days, and is already on page 4. Its kind of like that TV show "married with children". The first year the show was a complete flop, no one knew about it or watched it. It wasnt until some crazy old hag in the midwest started this petition to have the show cancelled "due to its content" that the show started getting watched. It eventually became a huge success, because people were wondering what all the fuss was about, and actually started watching it. She tried to have the show cancelled, but instead made it a household name that everybody now knows , and went onto being one of the most successful TV shows ever.
Similar thing is going on in this thread. All of this negative BS is being posted, but yet the views and pages keep getting more attention than any other thread here in our E55 section.
I also sponsor a different car forum, and one of the rules is that competing vendors stay out of each others threads, Ill assume that Mbworld is the same way. I think if Vadim never said anything on this thread, it would not have gotten as much attention as it has, and most of you guys would be viewing VRPs threads right now, like you normally would. Vadim is a friend of mine, but I think posting in this thread hurt him more than it helped.
As for Andy, I think you have some big *****. You have not backed down to anyone here, I commend you for that, even some of the well known loudmouths.. ie Jangy
I can appreciate what your trying to do, and now I really hope that your product is going to be as strong as you insist it will be, because if it isnt, youll be out of here so fast, you wont know what hit ya.
Great post Blue.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
2007 E63 w/P30 and Eurotech CF Diffuser
I'm going to get flamed for this.....

MHP,

Keep on going, you are putting on the "show" that I have seen many insist a vendor provide when they are NOT willing to post.

You manner is arrogant and at time condescending, again not unique here.

In the end the products will be the only thing that matters and regardless of how your attitude here. There will be someone that wants to try something new if it will give them bragging rights. If it works, the word will go out and you will have more business. Now if your products cause something to f-up, like a fried tranny, you better have an extra on the shelf and service the hell out of them. Right now it's all just chest beating. Give this forum something real to turn on you about and it gets crazy.

I have actually watched this forum demoralize a couple of good guys and as a result they folded up shop and went away. My impression is that you are a lot more thick skinned.

Edit: yeah, what bluemonster said above
Old 09-05-2008, 12:33 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by MHP
Ahhh! Now I get it, you're the resident *** sniffer! Forget the mastiff, we have Jangy!

Nice.

Oh, there will most definitely be ownage.
Actually, I think it is done. You've managed to insult all 50 people in the world that would even be interested in any of these supposed products.

WTF= What the ****?

You still haven't taken a shot at any of my basic trivia questions know it all.

Know it all? I haven't taken a shot at your trivia? I'm not here for trivia. You haven't addressed ANY of my points regarding how your SRT-8 to AMG conversion is ignorant.

What if I'm only a ***** to you and LZH but treat everyone else like gold? Too utopian for you? You decide...
Then, I'd let yiou slide. Plenty are *****s to me and we still get along. You've just been a general ***** and love yourself enough to make you annoying. Pay $300 and get it sucked so we can all relax.

Say what? We have a 2006 CL65 tester, as I said earlier we've been reflashing for over twice as long as I've actually owned the C63.
NO!! Really? You have twice the experience of how long you've had an '09 C63? LOL!!

"The reason nitrous isn't acknowledged is because it has been done and nothing but that" Care to try that again in English? First explain to me how you having a 2.3L twin screw supercharger and me not being able to run a single power adder is fair?

Get out of here. Any moron can do nitrous. Any moron can also add nitrous and sell it as a tune. It has been done and the dudes are long gone AFTER they ripped off some members here. Look, you wanna add juice, then lets do it. No matter what you think you can do, you will NEVER get a 6.2 liter AMG to be as modd friendly as ANY E55 this year, so I'll take any bet you have.

Second, I could just as easily flip your statement around and say "superchargers have also been done" though I wouldn't because I don't have an extra chromosome.
Actually, you did. Thanks for the explanation.

Actually it's also prescribed to men that want to increase their sperm count. www.webmd is your friend. Kind of like nolvadex fighting cancer in women and acting to increase blood vessel flexibility in men.
Some men, especially the ones that qualify for that extra chromosome.

Ok, not following again? The only question I can answer (because I don't know what you're asking in the rest) is the last one. I always dyno on the same dynojet 248 using SAE correction, 1:1 (5th gear), with smoothing set at 5 with hood closed and two large fans blowing at the front of the vehicle.
Always? If so, how do you measure drivetrain loss and measure how your TCU mod adds power? 5th gear is 1:1 in what car? The 65? WRONG.

Columbus, OH. The only way I'll race you (for something other than fun) without nitrous (and again it's total BS that you can have a blower but I can't spray) is after my H/C/I package goes on, which is after CAIs/longtubes/exhaust. Not going to lie it's probably not all going to happen by November--especially if the first set of heads goes to someone else.
Yup, I'm sure someone here wants to buy your untested heads. Look, you clearly showed all your hands when you clung to the NOS mod. It isn't that we don't do them here, it is simply that we don't have as much respect for it because it has been done so many times. The SCs are OEM, but what is impressive is taking them and getting much more power. That is the modding part. Again, where is your data? I thought we were done until you posted? Never gave me an ETA or how the study is designed. BS BS BS BS BS.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:35 PM

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts
'08 CL63
I was under the impression that your car was the one getting the supercharger...now I'm really confused
IIRC, it's going on a CLK63.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:36 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG

I fully intend on testing both items on my car and I will report back honest, un-biased feedback. If the stuff sucks, I'll take it off my car and let you all know it sucks, if the stuff works as promised you guys will be thanking me and rushing out to buy yours. You guys all know I'm a vocal and opinionated *****, I'm gonna speak my mind openly and honestly, so give me a week or so to get this stuff installed on my car and get it tested. Until then give this guy a break and wait for me to report back.
This is why I cannot wait to work with Jim. Headed to FedEx right now to drop your Thermalnators off. Can't wait to hear your results/opinions.

Thanks
Andy
Old 09-05-2008, 12:38 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by Andy0331
IIRC, it's going on a CLK63.
Nope. I've seen the setup. It will be on a CLS63 or C63, whichever chooses to be the fastest 63 BAR NONE.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:41 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Zax63
I was about to take a stab at the 5 questions too, but then it occurred to me that it would not actually prove anything. If I don't know the answer to one of the questions (like the billet aluminum vs. forged), I could look it up on the internet, get a basic understanding in 5 mins, and have a thorough understanding in 30 minutes. But I never claimed to be an engine builder, so I don't know why I would take the time to answer the question, or what it would prove. It would be like me asking you to explain convexity in bonds; you could figure it out, but what does that prove? I assume that there are well over 100 members of this board that can answer those questions but just have not seen the point so have not answered them. In addition, if you have effectively banned any other vendor from posting into your thread, that's not really fair - none of the pros can answer your question without being called out for intruding on your thread. You should offer a pass to them to answer this question, otherwise all you are doing is claiming that you know more about engines than amateurs, something that I hope would be true! But I think the fundamental problem is brought out when you said something like (and I paraphrase) "If you think these motors are different, you have bought into a bunch of BS..." or something like that. Of course, all normal hodrodding tricks will work on any motor. I'd love to drop a hundo nitrous shot on my car, but I'm waiting to see the long term effects on the engines of the pioneers who have done it to theirs. The problem is that when you crack a block on a mustang 4.6 or throw a rod or blast the valves etc, parts are cheap. When you grenade a 6.2 benz motor, unless you have figured out how to sub in a ls7 motor, replacement parts are crazy expensive. It reminds me of that tuner who does the twin-turbo Lamborghini motors... awesome idea and he makes huge power, but if he gets a few catastrophic failures, he will end up bankrupt unless he has very deep pockets. I think that might have actually happened a few months back on these boards, someone chime in if my memory is correct... there was a guy tuning motors, made big claims, everyone liked him, until stuff started failing. I think heads on these motors cost more than a long block 4.6. And I agree, I'd love to see a tuner shootout, and if your stuff works, then maybe you will win. And if you prove gains combined with longevity of motor parts, you will garner lots of business here.

And, please don't take the time to explain convexity... you'll bore the s*** out of everyone.
That's why I called them basic questions, some you could probably find the answer to on the net relatively quickly, others probably not...
Are you talking about Heffner? He builds nice turbo kits no question, but if he doesn't already he needs to swap different slugs in his Gallardo's.
Heads on these motors are "reasonable", fwiw, I also consider the assembled/built Ford GT heads on my N/A 5.4 (pics shown prior) to be reasonable at $10k.
Honestly it's REALLY hard to grenade a N/A stock longblock or even just shortblock motor to the point that I would think you would have to set out with the intention of blowing **** up to do so.
The reason I bought my C63 was so I could test as many parts/tunes as I could on my own personal vehicle before sending them out to our customers. To date we have NEVER lost a motor (one that we've built, or just tuned) and that I believe is a pretty mean feat in its own right--especially considering the builds we have taken on and that we don't tune everything we sell.
Thanks for taking the time to share your opinion.

Thanks
Andy
Old 09-05-2008, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jangy
Nope. I've seen the setup. It will be on a CLS63 or C63, whichever chooses to be the fastest 63 BAR NONE.
Then what's the hold up? Vic or Vadim posted pics of that thing over 5 months ago if I'm not mistaken.

Bring on that damn blower, talk is cheap! I'm just getting started with the mods on my car. Cams, heads and at least 575 NA whp by November, plus another 100 on the bottle , maybe in time for MIR. I don't need no stinkin blower!
Old 09-05-2008, 12:50 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
I dunno about married with kids, but I gotta say I disagree with this thread being bad for VRP. Somebody will have to fix all of the blown TCU / ECUs that get sent to MHC. I've always loved to watch kharma bite the guy who just had to have everything, even if it meant selling out to a *****. In a way, I am glad jcart is on it because we will very soon find out how much meat is to MHC's yap. But, I can't help but to be dissapointed in it. You really want a Chrysler tuner to play with your Black Series, there are at least 10 just in the HB area. Why do you need to go to Ohio?
Old 09-05-2008, 12:53 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Then what's the hold up? Vic or Vadim posted pics of that thing over 5 months ago if I'm not mistaken.

Bring on that damn blower, talk is cheap! I'm just getting started with the mods on my car. Cams, heads and at least 575 NA whp by November, plus another 100 on the bottle , maybe in time for MIR. I don't need no stinkin blower!
I don't know about all that. I remember the CLK63 that was to be the first and dunno what happenned. All I do know is that I have seen the SC setup recently. The hardware is being fitted now and tune, etc will follow. Talk is cheap. What are you putting down now? Where is the 575 coming from?
Old 09-05-2008, 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
2007 E63 w/P30 and Eurotech CF Diffuser
When it comes to steel, billet forgings are stronger than non billet forgings due to their aligned grain structure. Although I nor anyone I know has seen a 4340 H beam fail on it's own accord (ie not hydralock) let alone a billet I beam.
Billet is not "forged". The reason that the grain structure is aligned is that you start with a big homogenous block of material and then use an expensive CNC machine to turn it into what you want. There are effectively no internal stresses on the material and thus it is stonger. A forged or cast structure (onless you are casting a sphere), cools at different rates and results in internal stresses that reduce strength. You also have surface defects that can cause stress points which allow a spot for cracks to start. Shot peening is a way to eliminate these surface defect sites.

Lastly, parts that are forged need to be made with materials that allow forging. Billet does not. Although your question was about using similar materials.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:55 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Actually, I think it is done. You've managed to insult all 50 people in the world that would even be interested in any of these supposed products.
I guess I've vastly understimated the size of our target demographic. Silly me for thinking any performance oriented MB owner would like to see control of their trans given back to them...

Know it all? I haven't taken a shot at your trivia? I'm not here for trivia. You haven't addressed ANY of my points regarding how your SRT-8 to AMG conversion is ignorant.
If I'm a "know it not" you must be a know it all. Answer my questions and I'll answer yours. Start with how to spec a cam for a 4v, what's important, what's not, velocity v flow, etc. Then we'll talk.

Then, I'd let yiou slide. Plenty are *****s to me and we still get along. You've just been a general ***** and love yourself enough to make you annoying. Pay $300 and get it sucked so we can all relax.
Then bust out the lube, I treat my customers like gold no question. I'm availabe 18hrs a day via cell--that helps when you have customers not just in the US but around the world.
Honestly if you have to pay for sex you need to hit the gym more often.

reflashing for over twice as long as I've actually owned the C63.
NO!! Really? You have twice the experience of how long you've had an '09 C63? LOL!!
...and your experience with the C63 is...highlighted nicely by the 5th gear not being 1:1 as it is in the 7A comment below.

Get out of here. Any moron can do nitrous. Any moron can also add nitrous and sell it as a tune. It has been done and the dudes are long gone AFTER they ripped off some members here. Look, you wanna add juice, then lets do it. No matter what you think you can do, you will NEVER get a 6.2 liter AMG to be as modd friendly as ANY E55 this year, so I'll take any bet you have.
Let me apply your logic to the statement above again: Any moron can do (not really sure that's the right word) a supercharger. We'll it's true. Everyone knows that in a factory supercharged app adding a smaller pulley and tuning will always net huge power due to the inherent safety margins built into the vehicle at the factory and the ability of FI to make large power easily.
N/A is obviously going to be at a huge disadvantage to FI no argument there, however again I ask what kind of rwhp/rwtq are you making? I think we can get a H/C/I 6.2 with supporting bolt-ons to make the same kind of rwhp you do, just not the tq. I guess we'll find out soon enough...

Actually, you did. Thanks for the explanation.
Only as an example.

Some men, especially the ones that qualify for that extra chromosome.
That was clearly a bad attempt to spin, leave it at that.

Always? If so, how do you measure drivetrain loss and measure how your TCU mod adds power? 5th gear is 1:1 in what car? The 65? WRONG.
Our TCU reflashing adds power due to the massive amount of additional tq management (aside from that in the ECU) found in the OEM TCU programming. It's sick how much they handicap these things.
DT loss is measured by coast down, we've found it to be right at 16-17% on my car at present. This may drop by a point or two with more miles (dyno'd at 600 miles). 5th gear is 1:1 in a 7A which my car (you know, the one in question) happens to have. Obviously it's 4th in most other vehicles.

Yup, I'm sure someone here wants to buy your untested heads. Look, you clearly showed all your hands when you clung to the NOS mod. It isn't that we don't do them here, it is simply that we don't have as much respect for it because it has been done so many times. The SCs are OEM, but what is impressive is taking them and getting much more power. That is the modding part. Again, where is your data? I thought we were done until you posted? Never gave me an ETA or how the study is designed. BS BS BS BS BS.
Untested? LOL, how many vendors on here have purchased a pair of 6.2 heads just to destroy (one we literally cut in half and we worked different shapes/contours on the other)? Again, we've made 597rw with a 3.55" bore 4.165" stroke (stock dimension) Ford GT head 5.4L 4v naturally aspirated, 440rwhp from a 4.6/4v N/A, 350hp from 1.5L of 2v SOHC--that's (the 5.4) probably more than you're making with your twin screw 5.4. What makes you think that we'll do any worse with a 4" bore 6.2?

I am officially done with you Jangy, at least until you learn how to quote in html because I'm sick of wasting my time.
Have a nice day, and don't worry, I'll still sell you a TCU at only twice the normal cost.

Last edited by MHP; 09-05-2008 at 12:57 PM.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:56 PM

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts
'08 CL63
I don't doubt you, as you've been to the shop & I'm across the country. I just missed where it changed. I'm posting the following just so I can convince myself I'm not insane... LOL

Originally Posted by vrus
We've got a CLK63 cab project car.. Its going to get a host of upgrades..

To give you an idea of what is being done:

- CLK BS widebody panels
- Custom dual exhaust
- VRP 63 headers
- VRP S/C upgrade (first pass will be for stock internals.. second pass will be higher boost and built bottom end. )
- VRP VR530 Kit
- VRP 63 Coilover kit
- VRP 2piece brake upgrade kit
- Quaiffe LSD setup
- Custom wheels (havent decided on which ones yet)

There is a bunch more going into it, but the S/C is the first R&D project Vadim will be tackling.

We'll post progress of the project car as we move along.
See, I'm not completely nuts..
Old 09-05-2008, 12:59 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Goatspeed
Andy if you can make our cars as fast as you can type ... count me in

Sheesh...I'd hate to see that keyboard.

Looking forward to your products! Keep our tuning options coming!
LOL, much appreciated and thanks!
Old 09-05-2008, 01:01 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Blue_Monster
You sir are correct is so many ways. Thank you for an excellent post.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:02 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Jon2007E63P30
MHP,

Keep on going, you are putting on the "show" that I have seen many insist a vendor provide when they are NOT willing to post.

You manner is arrogant and at time condescending, again not unique here.

In the end the products will be the only thing that matters and regardless of how your attitude here. There will be someone that wants to try something new if it will give them bragging rights. If it works, the word will go out and you will have more business. Now if your products cause something to f-up, like a fried tranny, you better have an extra on the shelf and service the hell out of them. Right now it's all just chest beating. Give this forum something real to turn on you about and it gets crazy.

I have actually watched this forum demoralize a couple of good guys and as a result they folded up shop and went away. My impression is that you are a lot more thick skinned.

Edit: yeah, what bluemonster said above
Thanks for your realistic perpective Jon, and you are also correct, this ain't my first rodeo.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I dunno about married with kids, but I gotta say I disagree with this thread being bad for VRP. Somebody will have to fix all of the blown TCU / ECUs that get sent to MHC. I've always loved to watch kharma bite the guy who just had to have everything, even if it meant selling out to a *****. In a way, I am glad jcart is on it because we will very soon find out how much meat is to MHC's yap. But, I can't help but to be dissapointed in it. You really want a Chrysler tuner to play with your Black Series, there are at least 10 just in the HB area. Why do you need to go to Ohio?
Where the hell is HB...Huntington Beach? Dude I live in Chicago, besides, I am not shipping my car there. Secondly as for the Chrysler comment, didn't Chrysler pretty much develop this 7-speed tranny? I don't care if a Hyundia tuner works on my car, if they are able to unlock one of the largest obstacles that ALL MB tuners are running up against, then yes Mr Chrysler tuner, have at it.

My entire car was a friggin experiment, nobody offered anything for ANY 63 before I sent my car to Evosport. You gotta roll the dice in life, I did and look at the results...an 11.4 NA all motor 1/4 pass out of a 63, the very same car most of you all wrote off as slow and non-tuner friendly. I'm not affraid to take a chance or break something, I am well aware of what happens when you play with fire. You all better pray I don't blow my motor up, because I will build it bigger, stronger and faster than any other MB any of you have ever seen...don't believe me? Stay tuned, becasue it's not a matter of if as much as it is a matter of when.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:03 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Jon2007E63P30
Billet is not "forged". The reason that the grain structure is aligned is that you start with a big homogenous block of material and then use an expensive CNC machine to turn it into what you want. There are effectively no internal stresses on the material and thus it is stonger. A forged or cast structure (onless you are casting a sphere), cools at different rates and results in internal stresses that reduce strength. You also have surface defects that can cause stress points which allow a spot for cracks to start. Shot peening is a way to eliminate these surface defect sites.
Where do you think billet "blanks" come from? Forgings.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: MHP AMG 63 Thermalnators